April was a month of little things. No huge major events. Just life.
A friend of mine recently had surgery to remove melanoma. After the surgery when people asked what they could do to help, she said, "get yourself checked." So I did. Doc removed a mole. Came back clear.
A "little" thing. But cancer screenings can make a "big" difference.
The girls studied Shakespeare this year. The Seattle Public Library had a special super old Shakespeare book on display. So we took a little family adventure to check out the Seattle library.
I didn't know what to expect when I planned this outing. If I had it to do over again, I think I would have just planned a date night trip with my love. This 400 year old book was NOT that interesting for two ten-year-olds and a five-year-old. But in the end, I feel it was not a lost day. A"little" trip to the Seattle Library was "NEW." "NEW," is big, scary, and challenging in our family. So it ended up being a really great chance to exercise things we work on, like bravery, trust, and calming down. "Big" important life lessons that I would argue are even more important than rhymes, historical dates, and math equations.
It was definitely an interesting building. Fitting really. Seattle is an interesting city.
The next day we took a "little" day trip to central Washington for a wedding. (By the time we got home that night, it didn't feel as "little") My love's cousin got married. If I had been more on top of things I would have gotten a picture with the bride and groom. But instead I got a picture of the girls relaxing with their Great-Aunts after the wedding excitement had calmed down.
I spent a big chunk of this month sorting out school plans for next year. We have been with the same Virtual Academy for 6 years. But next year we are entering the middle school scene. That changes things. The Virtual Academy is no longer going to be the best fit for what I would like to do. Which has meant lots of research. Lots of e-mails. Lots of phones calls. LOTS of paper work (that all had to be scanned in). A visit to meet the middle school counselor and several visits to the district office. I'm happy to say that all my effort has paid off and we are set up in the program we are going to use next year. A "little" thing in this grand universe, but a "BIG" impact on the everyday life of our little family.
The twins got invited to a Harry Potter themed birthday party this month. So in preparation for attending that, we got to introduce our girls to the first Harry Potter movie. Definitely a "little" thing. But really fun.
The twins finished off the month with 3 days of their yearly standardized state testing. I'm proud of how they copped with the stress of that less than fun activity. Just a tiny "little" piece of their educational journey. But a "big" difference in how they were able to cope, when compared to last years testing. Progress and growth that my tender mother heart is grateful for.




No comments:
Post a Comment