Sunday, December 18, 2016

New Calling

For the past few years, I have had my favorite calling at church - Primary Chorister.
However,
So I have a new calling.  I am now Stake Primary Chorister.
I know, you're rolling your eyes and thinking, "Wow.  'BIG' change."
But it IS a big change.
All those little people in my ward.  I love them.  I love to teach them.  I love the challenge of thinking of ways to connect with them.  I love to help them feel their Savoir's love for them.  I love interacting with them, and talking to them, and making them feel important, cared about and loved.  It's just a whole lot of love.  I used to get to do all that EVERY week.  That will NOT be the case with this new change.
My last Sunday with the kids did NOT go smooth.  I volunteered to take the whole 40 mins instead of just the usual 20.  Technical glitches with plan A.  Plan B, tried to play the piano with NO GLASSES.   I met my replacement and tried to explain the duties of the best calling in the world in less than 5 min.  I forgot to do something I said I'd do for a friend.   By the time I took my kids home, my emotions got the best of me and I started to cry.  But I had new duties with my new calling and had to rush off.  When I got home, my sweet girls had made this for me:
When you are a family, most callings can be a team effort.  Or at least team sacrifice.  Since this day, the girls have had to step up a little bit and be good natured and flexible on several occasions.  I took this picture one Sunday afternoon when they had to "picnic" in the church kitchen cause Dad had duties after church and Mom was off at another ward in the Stake.
I love them very much and I'm grateful for our little family.

I believe this change is one of life's "stepping stones" that is necessary to prepare us for "stepping stones" in the future.

My first Sunday in the adult class felt . . . . I can't even think of a word for it.
I was no longer teaching.  Which means I was no longer CONNECTING.  I was no longer engaging, plugging in, reaching out.  Not to mention I was no longer physically MOVING for 2 hours straight.
I sat there.  Quietly listening.  In a room that was full, yet felt empty.  I learned something about myself.  I never before had recognized my need to connect with people.

One of my life mottoes has been:
If you want something bad enough - GO GET IT.

So no more Sundays like that first one!  I've made a conscious effort to engage with others every Sunday.  I no longer get to teach, but perhaps I can still connect, plug in, and maybe even help others feel important, cared about and loved.

BONUS PHOTO: Dad's Birthday

No comments:

Post a Comment