Saturday, March 9, 2013

Viking Party

The twins just finished a History unit on vikings.  When we started the unit I said, "When we finish learning about the vikings we can watch How To Train Your Dragon and have a viking party."  My girls are just like me and love any excuse for a party.  What I had in mind originally was just watching the movie and having some sort of vikingish snack.  Maaaybe a viking hat too.  But I just couldn't hold myself back.  Got so many great ideas!  We had a full blown party with costumes, snacks and games.  All for no reason.  Just because we could.  And it was awesome.  The kids loved it and so did I.  It was great.
One of the twins friends has been doing school with us.  So we got to party with their family too.  It was so much more fun with friends.  They were awesome enough to let these stinking cute vikings run amuck in their house.  We also have them to thank for those SHNAZZY shields!  My love made the 'berzerker' vests and I made the hats.  (I'll post instructions on how to make the hats at the end.) 
Short cake could NOT be left out of course.  :)

For food we had "dragon eggs" aka: grapes, "viking boats" aka" little smokies with toothpick sails, and our friends made real viking bread!  Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of the food.  Bummer.

One of the funnest parts of the night was when the vikings hunted for dragon eggs.  :) 







Then it was time to examine the spoils of their plunder.  (So fun.)

 Finished off the night with movie time.  


Nights like these make me smile from ear to ear.  I love being a mom and making everyday life fantastic.

Instructions for my viking hats:

You will need:
2 strips of duct tape 12 inches long
2 strips of duct tape 24 inches long
a white paper plate
extra duct tape to attach everything together

1) Put the two 12 in strips together to make one non-sticky 12 inch strip.
2) Place the non-sticky strip in the middle of one of the 24 inch strips as shown below:

  3) Use the second 24 inch strip to secure the short strip in place and make the long strip non-sticky as well. 

4) The long strip forms a headband around their head and you bring the short strip across the top.
Using more duct tape, attach the 3 ends.  
*TIP* I waited until the kids were around so I could measure how big their heads were.  

5) Cut a paper plate as shown:


6) Use duct tape to attach the horns to the side of the head bands.  

And Ta Da!  You should now have something that resembles a viking hat.  :)

1 comment:

  1. It was SO much fun Melanie! We are so lucky to get to homeschool with you! Thanks for making our everyday life fantastic!

    ReplyDelete