Sunday, June 16, 2013

Antropolis, Bon Fire, Dutch Oven, S'mores, and an Aching Heart

I want to remember days like yesterday.

We discovered a massive ant colony in our back yard.  We've had a big pile of broken branches since we moved in.  This 4th of July weekend we were finally going to clear it away and put in a fire pit like we've been dreaming.  Well thanks to these big ants turning the yard debris pile into a bustling Antropolis, the project got bumped up to the top of the to-do-right-now list. 

Like REALLY, it was bad.  Not just a casual, "Gosh every piece of wood has 4 or 5 ants on it."  No, like gross massive area dense with ant bodies crawling all over each other.  And the few that strayed from the pile were aggressive and bit. 

At first the blaze was really strong and intimidating as we tried to keep things safe.  But after the initial torching it became VERY slow going.  Needless to say we were in our back yard ALL afternoon and straight on through till we ran out of daylight. 

But you know, as unwelcome as this ant problem was, it really made for a wonderful evening.  My love worked hard to keep the flame going and I went back and forth between helping him and getting some more things planted in our garden.  The girls just played and played and played and played some more.  I loved it. 

Watching them play made me so happy.  I loved how they were enjoying just being outside and just being together.  I loved how the twins were treating shortcake.   She wasn't a pesky toddler that had to be tolerated.  She was an equal, a friend.  I loved watching them bond and make memories.

Since we had hot coals and had to stay outside anyway, we decided to have another go at our dutch oven we're learning to use.  Turned out pretty darn tasty.  It was such a lovely evening that we set up dinner outside.  We've never done that before. 



Normally, an afternoon in my back yard makes me one happy girl.  But this time . . . . . I'll admit a part of me was sad.  I was thinking of how nice it would have been to have our parents there with us.  :(  I imagined them sitting in the shade enjoying watching the girls play.  I imagined them enjoying having dutch oven dinner  with us.  I miss them.  We got pretty darn spoiled last weekend having both our parents here. 

Then as if this day wasn't great enough, we put that fire to good use and made s'mores!!! 
 


With full tummies it was back to work and play till the sun went down.


 
Couldn't begin to put a price on days like these.  They make me so happy.  I treasure them and my heart overflows with gratitude for every day I'm given.  But . . . as I said, this evening I found my mind on loved ones far away.  I found myself wondering how could being outside always bring me such joy, when  people who are so dear to my heart, don't get to be a part of it.  :(

For some reason it is part of life's equation and therefore part of God's plan.  

No comments:

Post a Comment