From the time Shortcake was just a few months old, she has seemed like such a big strong spirit, trapped inside a young little body. To this day, she is always so alert, so aware, so ready to go and do, and take part in things above and beyond her.
She is at a really fun age for Christmas. Though she's not quite yet 3, she is aware and articulate. She says:
"Santa go down chimney, inside the door, bring me big panda."
(If only the other Staley kids on Santa's list could make up their minds so determinedly.)
Last night while my love was at scouts and the twins were at F.I.G.s, Shortcake and I spent some time together. It was fun to give her some of my undivided attention. I took her to the Dollar Store to pick out Christmas presents for her big sisters.
Maybe I just have low expectations for a 3ish year old but I am in awe as I sit back and watch her grow, go, and do.
She knew what we were there for. There was a job to be done. She wanted to do it. Without any hesitation, uncertainty or need for assistance.
She saw some pretty gift boxes right by the front door and said she wanted them for the twins. I told her they were great but we needed to go find something to put in them. So we left the boxes and continued throughout the store. A little while later, as soon as she found some things she wanted to give them, she took off running. She was headed right back to those boxes. She hadn't forgotten them, and absolutely had to go put her presents in them right then and there. No ifs ands or buts. She was on a mission, and that mission was not going to be complete without the pretty boxes for her sisters.
Simple and trivial really. But it's my feeble attempt at showcasing a glimpse of the focused, determined, driven way she constantly lives her young little life. Day in and day out.
I believe that she has important things to do in this world that are going to require such unwavering direction. I just hope I do an okay job at supporting and focusing and loving that strength.
No comments:
Post a Comment