The play I wanted to go see was Godspell. This play was made into a movie back in 1973. My love recorded it off TV a while back. We watched about 10 min of it and just couldn't finish it. The afros, the color scheme, the bell-bottoms, and the curious face painting. It was all just so distracting and . . . confusing.
So when I asked my love if he wanted to go see it live, he was NOT interested. But every other play put out by this particular theatre group has been just phenomenal. I wanted to see their take on it. I didn't want to miss an opportunity to see an amazing performance. So I found a friend who doesn't mind "weird" and "different." We both really enjoyed it!
Let's start with the costumes. I love what they did with the costumes. The play itself calls for "colorful outfits." It is meant to symbolize how when we live by God's standards, we are different from what the world deems as "normal." But in the movie, there were trying so hard to to look "different" that they looked like they were ready to join the circus. In the play, each cast member had a different colored shirt, that had a word printed on the front. One said "faithfulness," one said "self-control", one "kindness," another said "joy," another "goodness". There was also "gentleness," and "patience." I thought they made great "colorful outfits" that looked "different" from the rest of the world.
Costumes from the 1972 movie.
(Mr. Afro/Superman/Suspenders is "Jesus.")
Costumes from the play.
(Red shirt that says "LOVE" is "Jesus.")
Now let's talk about the character, Jesus. Oh my goodness. I can not complement this actor enough! He was amazing. He did such a good job. There are people who would complain that a play such as this is "irreverent" or "sacrilegious." But the gentleman they had playing the role of Jesus exemplified reverence and respect and honor for the sacred role he played. The word printed on his shirt was "love," and he did an amazing job of portraying that love with the tone and candor of his voice. The entire cast performed the scenes of the last super, the Lord's suffering in the garden, and the crucifixion, with powerful, respectful, reverence.
My favorite scene was when they acted out the story of the prodigal son. In this play, all of the "parables" are "updated for modern audiences." Which often translated into silliness. (Go figure.) But voice-overs and silly facial expressions aside, this one was still my favorite. My favorite part was near the end of the parable. The "good son" who stayed by his father's side, who did all that had ever been asked of him, is NOT inclined to rejoice and party in honor of his long lost brother. In this particular reenactment, despite repeated urging from his father, he does NOT want to hug and welcome home his brother. Then "Jesus" walks around and stands off to the side. The "good son," looks up and sees "Jesus" in the background, just watching, silently reminding him what is expected of him. That moment just really resonated withe me. Because that's me. I'm "good" and "obedient" and physically do all that is required of me. But really, I'm just as much of a mess as the "good son." I complain, I judge, I'm prideful, and vain.
The other part of the play that I loved was near the end. Before the crucifixion scene, he "says goodbye" to each of the other cast members. No actual words are spoken, and it's almost a dance. "Jesus" does some small movement, or other unique thing, that each person did at some point during their performances during the play. And then hugs them. With the last character, he strummed an air guitar with the guy. My first reaction was, "Right, Jesus wouldn't play an air guitar." BUT, then my mind opened a little more. It wasn't Jesus strumming an air guitar cause that's his idea of fun. It was showing how Jesus KNOWS and loves all that makes each of us unique!
It was really good. I'll admit,there were times where I sat there slightly confused about what was unfolding before me. But overall, I left there with a greater desire to be a better person and a better disciple of Jesus Christ.


No comments:
Post a Comment