Thursday, February 26, 2015

Don't Walk Away From The Garden

As of late, I've been blogging mostly memories.  Haven’t "written" in a while.

This morning I had thoughts that I want to be sure and tell my children.  Some day.  When the situation lends itself.  But I don't want to forget these thoughts in the mean time.

(Perhaps I should rename my blog: "Things I Don't Want To Forget"
Not as catchy or cute as "Staley Stepping Stones" though eh?)


I was reading an article in the ENSIGN this morning entitled: When Doubts and Questions Arise.  (Well written and I recommend reading it.)  It got me thinking about doubts, questions, and faith.  I thought about all the people who's doubts have led them away from the gospel of Jesus Christ.  Then a primary song got stuck in my head.   "Faith".  Particularly the line: "Faith is like a little seed.

My thoughts progressed and wandered and somehow that little seed evolved into a garden.  My thoughts are this:

If faith is like a little seed, than the gospel of Jesus Christ is like a garden.  A BIG, BEAUTIFUL, FRUITFUL garden, with so much to enjoy and partake of.  (Gardening is a hobby of mine, but this is NOT a picture of my own garden, just one that I thought looked "big, beautiful, and fruitful.")

Anyone who's tried to grow a garden of their own knows that sometimes this happens:


A "hole." What seems like an "imperfection."  A place where a seed was put, but nothing grew.  But why?  You could get lots of difference answers, from lots of different people, who may or may not actually know the answer.   

Sometimes people stumble upon human imperfections among church leaders, contrary scientific findings, historical anomalies.  They see these as "imperfections."  Or "holes" that we don't understand.  It's okay to have questions.  Seek answers, pray, read your scriptures, fast, pray some more.  Patiently wait to receive understanding.  But don't walk away from the rest of the garden

The Lord has given us His gospel.  A "garden" abundant with truth, light, knowledge, understanding, blessings, and peace.  We shouldn't walk away from this:

because we're hung up on this:

Trust the gardener.  He knows exactly what happened and why.  And I believe that if we prove our faith, by being obedient to the commandments He has given His children, in His own time, the gardener will bless us, and increase our knowledge and answer our personal questions and concerns. 

Ether 12:6  . . . for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith.

Doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith.
—President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

2 comments:

  1. Excellent Post Mel! So so good! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was beautiful. And inspired. I will be coming back to your post and analogy again and again.

    It always makes me happy to see that you've written a new post. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete