Wednesday, September 2, 2015

What I Learned On Our First Day of School 2015

I misplaced my camera.  That put a big kink in my blogging.  But the good news is my girls found it today.  So I have some catching up to do.  But I wanted to write down some thoughts from the here and now before I worry about backtracking.

Our first day of school.  I was actually looking forward to it.  Looking forward to starting fresh.  Excited to take on a new challenge.  Kind of a "New Years Resolution" sort of a feeling.  Hopeful.

I've schooled my girls at home for 5 years.  We use an online curriculum called K12.  GREAT curriculum, but very rigorous and NOT for the lazy.  Often we have a hard time keeping up with the schedule.

This year, I will be experiencing rigorous at a whole new level.  For the first time I will be giving my best go at schooling 2 different grade levels.  Thousands of other school at home families do this.  Totally doable, right? . . . . . I think . . . . . I hope . . . . .

Day 1 verdict: - that's what I'd like to try and put into words

What I learned today:

* Math is still tough

- even though it's only the beginning of the year and we aren't even into any new concepts yet
 - taking a 2 month break from it didn't magically make things easier

* Shortcake is NOT an auditory learner
- this girl has an attention span that beats out most kids twice her age
- she will complete an entire workbook in one sitting
- hour long, multi-step art project, piece of cake
But you try to sit down and ask her 12 auditory questions such as:
Which word has the "mmm" sound in it, "sun" or "moon"?
In her opinion you're asking 11 questions too many.  

* NO cooking or cleaning or shopping or visiting or errands gets addressed before 4pm
You would think going into year 6 I would know this by now, but somehow at the end of the day I always stand in the middle of my clutter, dirty dishes, and laundry, feeling exasperated, discouraged, and trying not to cry at the lack of visible accomplishment.

* I should have asked for a back-to-school blessing too.  
Even though my kids don't "go off to school." I didn't want them to miss out on that tradition.  So from year one, my girls have always gotten a father's blessing before we start a new school year. 
Yesterday as dinner time rolled around and my to-do-list circulated itself over and over again in my head, my tired eyes gave way to a few tears. 
Ya, I can't do this alone and I'm gonna need Gods help. 

* Somehow, somewhere, at sometime, I did something right
In Literature the girls read a story called "Salt & Bread".  Here's the synopsis:
-King with 3 daughters
-King listens to rumours that his youngest daughter doesn't love him.
-King asks daughters how much they love him.
-Youngest daughter says, "I value you as salt and bread."
-King is angry because those are "the humblest things on a poor man's table."
-Youngest daughter is cast out and abandoned in the woods.
-A prince finds her and they fall in love.
-King is invited to the wedding.
-All kinds of wonderful food is served at the wedding.
-But NONE OF IT IS SALTED AND THERE WAS NO BREAD
-King realizes that two precious things were missing. 
-King begs her forgiveness.
The girls assignment: write a letter to the King.  Here is E Mae's letter:

Dear King,
It doesn't matter how much they love you.  You just gotta love them.  Every single one of them because they're your daughters and you love them the same.  And if they really are doing something that bad, then teach them!

Often I crawl into bed at night fighting a tear in my eye feeling like this:
But somehow, despite my parental short comings, I have successfully taught my daughter something.  That her parents are going to love her no matter what

Day one complete.  179 to go.  And I'm thankful for every single one of them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment