
We have a foster kid just for the weekend. These two sweet girls had a wonderful summer day. Full of toys, trampolines, and dress up. Then when it was time to get ready for bed, they were thrilled to realize that Shortcake had pajamas that matched her new friend! Fun for any set of 8 year old girls right? But it means oh so much more to my Shortcake.
In a family with 3 kids, but two of them twins, she often feels like 'the odd man out.' She constantly watches two-peas-in-a-pod do everything together, while she desperately tries to be a part of it. She sheds tears on the matter from time to time and complains about it often.
As I took this picture, I started to dread the many conversations that will undoubtedly ensue when this weekend comes to an end. Conversations where she will repeatedly express the injustice of the situation. Conversations where I'm supposed to be the wise voice of reason and teach her life lessons. Life lessons about how life doesn't get to be exactly like we think it should be. Lesson about why that's okay, and why it can be a good thing. Conversations where I will tell her that God has a plan for our family. When really, inside I'm saying, "Yes! I agree! I want you to have more siblings! That was the plan. I don't understand why you don't."
As I blew up an air mattress so that these two could sleep in the same room and chatter away as they fell asleep (cause that's what Shortcake listens to her big sisters do) I started to feel sorry for her. Sorry that she doesn't have siblings to be young with. (14 year olds don't play with Polly Pockets or wear feather boas.) And I'll own it - I was feeling sorry for myself as well. But then God whispered a different point of view.
Because we do foster care, Shortcake gets to interact with lots of siblings.
Because we do foster care, Shortcake will have more experience and better understanding of people who come from different backgrounds than her.
Because she doesn't have her own close sibling, she must reach out, interact, and be a sibling/friend to others who need her strength and character.
I am grateful that our home can have an open door and be a helpful, safe, and fun place for so many different children.
I try to imagine what our life would be like if things had turned out more like I had planned . . . .
So boring.
So standard.
The life we have is so crazy and unique.
The life we have feels so right.

No comments:
Post a Comment