Wednesday, August 7, 2013

What are you doing?

I heard a story about building a cathedral.  Before sharing it I did some research in an attempt to verify it's authenticity.  Who knows if it's how it really went down or what exact words may or may not have been said.  But the way I see it,
Did the ant really talk to the grasshopper?  Probably not.
But does it still teach a concept?  Absolutely.
So I too will pass on the story, what I learned from it, and how I applied it to me.


Christopher Wren was the architect responsible for St. Paul's Cathedral in London.  A story is told of his conversation with 3 different workers.

He asked the first worker, "What are you doing?"
"I'm cutting stone."  (Or laying brick, depending on who's telling the story.)

He asked a second worker, "What are you doing?"
"I'm working on a Christopher Wren cathedral."

He asked a third worker, "What are you doing?"
"I'm building a cathedral for God."


So I ask you, "What are you doing?"  What is your purpose, and what is your focus?  Why are you bothering with whatever it is that occupies your time?  And of course it's only fair that I ask this of myself.  I came up with these 3 possible responses.

1) I'm doing the dishes.

2) I'm taking care of a home and 3 children. 

3) I'm nurturing 3 children on the path to exaltation.

See what I mean?  It's all about perspective. 

AND, since my love's sister just left for Ukarane on her mission, and I've got missionaries on the brain, I'll offer one more example.

What are you doing?

1) I'm going to Timbuktu. (Or where ever else you may have been called.)

2) I'm going to go tell people about the gospel.

3) I'm leaving my family for 2 years so that others can have the opportunity to be with their families for eternity. 

So, What are you doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment