Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Sweetheart 5K

I haven't posted in 2 weeks.  What???  Where has my inner writer disappeared to???  I don't know that I would normally be inclined to write about my 5K.  But I ain't got nothing else.  And it's been 2 weeks!  So 5K it is.

I participated in a 5K on the navy base.  Not a huge event.  Only 120 runners.  I actually participated in this particular event back in 2010 also.  In 2010 I actually got a 3rd place medal.  But . . . it was soured for me.  I was totally excited but after it was all over, some guy (NOT a race official) came up to me and told me all about how it should have gone to his daughter.  I'll spare you complex details but basicly he thinks I passed her after she had already crossed the finished line.  I didn't even remember seeing her!  So I didn't give him the medal and I kept it, but ya, its hard to be excited about an award that that you may or may not have earned.  

Fast forward 4 years.  Time to go earn that medal undisputed this time!  I've improved since last time, so I had high hopes.  But when I got there and saw so many fit, fast looking people . . . I started to doubt and was trying to not set myself up for disappointment.   

But I shouldn't sell myself short.  I've come a long way and really improved.  My racing strategy used to be "chasing rabbits."  I would pick some one in front of me, and fight as long as I could to keep up with them.  It was a great way of pushing myself, but eventually I would tire out, slow down, and loose sight of my "rabbit."  But I would just find another, slightly slower runner, to be my new "rabbit to chase."  

So I started this race like all my others and found myself a "rabbit."  But this time, I didn't tire out.  In fact, I said to myself, "I can go faster than this."  So I passed them, and started "chasing" the next person.  I did this a couple different times!  I felt so strong and fast.  I'm used to long distance running, and having to pace myself, and "save" my energy so I can last the whole distance.  Knowing that I didn't have another 10 miles in front of me, I could put so much into it!  It felt great!! 

I think that's a small part of why I like running.  I can SEE improvement.  I can SEE the difference.  I can see the fruits of my hard work.

And this time, the difference was hung around my neck!  I got 2nd place in my category.  (Female 30-39)  It was a fun little event.  They even had podiums for us to stand on.




Ok, new goal:  I currently have that "disputed" 3rd place medal, and a 2nd place medal from the Sweetheart 5K.  I want to complete the set.  Some day, I want that first place medal.  Right now, that seems so hard.  But I saw this sign in a furniture store the other day and I love it. :)


BONUS PHOTO:
The morning of the run, I was trying to quietly slip out of the house so everyone else could sleep in.  But just as I was leaving Shortcake woke up and I told her she needed to go tell Daddy that she was awake and that Mommy was going running.  I peeked in the room to make sure he was awake before I left her unattended.  I just couldn't resist taking a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment