Thursday, September 4, 2014

First Pets!

Rare is the child who doesn't ask their parent for a pet.

Our girls have been wanting one for a long time.  My love and I are NOT animal people.  We put it off as long as we could.  Saying they needed to be old enough to clean up after it themselves and that sort of thing.  But I know there is much to be experienced and learned from caring for an animal.  So this year for their birthday, we told the twins that after all of our summer traveling was over, we would get them pets.

We were actually VERY fortunate.  Shortly after returning from our last vacation, I found a lady who's youngest was leaving for college.  She was looking for a home for their 2 guinea pigs!  Cage included!

And animal fan or no, even I think they're pretty cute.

As you can see, the girls named them "Carmel" & "Vinila."  I don't know what's more cute, the critters, or the signs the girls made for them.  :)



It took a few days, but we finally figured out how to get the critters out of their cage to hold them. 



We've got the hang of it now and the little walking fluff balls love to run around the girls room and act like they own the place.

The girls worked really hard to make this maze for them.  But the guinea pigs would just clime right over the walls, so it was kind of a mute point.  But I think they had fun creating it anyway. 


BONUS PHOTOS:
A new school year has started.  Unfortunately the later part of last year was challenging for all of us and the girls weren't terribly excited to start again.  But I'm trying some things to make this year better.
* recess is a priority - whether we are behind schedule or not
* start by 9:00 - no sleeping in
* stop by 4:00 - whether we are behind schedule or not
* 60 min lesson max - if it can't be finished in 60 min, stop and finish it the next day
I'm hoping this will help us all enjoy the day more!
 

Shortcake did AMAZING on our first day.  Keeping her happy and occupied has been quite challenging in the past.  But she kept busy almost the whole day.  In fact, she worked though an ENTIRE Elmo Alphabet Workbook.  Which says a lot about her attention span.  BUT, there are 180 days in a school year.  I only bought her 8 workbooks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment