Sunday, October 5, 2014

General Conference OCT '14

My girls were excited for General Conference weekend.  At least a portion of the reasoning behind that would be that we do key word treats.  (Conference Snacking Fun) By the time we're done we are all sick of "treats," but man, I can't deny that my kids pay attention to conference because of it.  Even my 3 year old!  She was totally paying attention!  Every time she heard the word "God" she would make sure we all heard it too and wanted to know what treat she got to eat.  "God" wasn't one of our original key words this year, but when I saw her effort and enthusiasm we switched out the mini-M&Ms that went with the word "priesthood," and changed that treat box to the word "God."  She eventually picked up on other words that also meant she got a treat.

There were 2 quotes this year that made me quickly scramble for a piece of paper and the closest writing utensil.  I have since gone back and gotten the exact wording right.
The first quote was from Elder Tad R. Callister's talk from the Saturday afternoon session.  He said:


 Which parent in Book of Mormon times would have let their sons march out to the front of battle, without a breastplate and shield and sword, to protect them against the potential mortal blows of the enemy? But how many of us let our children march out the front door each morning, to the most dangerous of all battlefields, to face satan and his myriad of temptations, without their spiritual breastplate and shield and sword that come from the protective power of prayer. 


 The second quote I liked came from Elder Carlos A. Godoy's talk in the Sunday afternoon session.  He talked about what we are supposed to do when life is going pretty good.  This really resonated with me because I often feel that my life is so blessed, and down right easy, compared to so many around me that are struggling and laden with heavy trials.  He said:

We are not here in this life just to waste our time, grow old and die. God wants us to grow and achieve our potential.

I haven't yet figured out what specificly I should be doing, but it's given me something to ponder on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment