But first, just a little FYI for any of my family and friends who may not be as familiar with the sport of running.
The Boston Marathon is THE Marathon. In 1996 it set a record as the world's largest marathon with 38,708 entrants. It did NOT get that record because just ANYBODY can enter. NO SIR. In order to race in the Boston Marathon you must qualify. The qualifying time for my age bracket is 3 hours and 35 minutes. To put that into perspective for you, my goal for my first marathon this summer is to finish in 4 hours 35 minutes. So ya, only the best of the best runners run the Boston Marathon. Even if you never actually get to run it, just qualifying is a huge bragging right and something runners strive for. (More about that later.)
As I pondered the sad sad events a couple of quotes/sayings that I've seen before came to mind. The first is:
As I thought about the runners in Boston, I realized that for many of them, today "IS that day." There very well may be individuals who will no longer physically be able to do what they love after their injuries from the blast.
I try to keep things in perspective and often remind myself that every day is a gift that I have been given. One of my aspirations in life is to be a gray-haired runner. (LONG pretty gray hair by the way.) But this is life. Things happen. Often what we have planned is not what the Lord has planned. I am grateful for every step I am blessed to be able to take.
I've been fighting a cold going on 3 weeks now. I woke up this morning hacking up green gunk. (Too Much Information I know.) ANY other normal sane person would have said "Take a day off for goodness sake." But I LOVE to run. It makes me happy. It makes me feel good. This morning was no different. In fact, as far as my cold symptoms are concerned, I actually felt better while I was running. Didn't feel so darn congested and sickly. I felt alive, strong, and happy.
To conclude my thoughts on this subject I've decided something. A while a go I had a conversation with my love about what am I going to do after my marathon. I've been working towards and focusing on this goal for so long, I'm not going to know what to do with myself. I gotta have goals. I have to have something to work towards, to improve upon. But what? Well all this thinking about the Boston Marathon has inspired me.
I remember when my friends first asked if I wanted to do the 1/2 marathon with them. My instant response without even thinking about it was "oh no I could never do that." I also remember the night I changed my mind and quite frankly kinda changed my life. Up until I finished my 1/2, I also always said "I could never run a marathon." In the past, when talking with other runners about the Boston Marathon I've always immediately without thinking said, "oh no I could never do that." Hello! Have I learned nothing! Stop telling yourself what you "CAN'T" do!!! I don't really have a desire to travel all the way to Boston, BUT, I can stay right where I'm at and qualify. So there you have it folks. My new goal is to some day qualify for Boston. Crazy!!!!!!!!!! Now, that being said, I am a mom first, and Mrs. Incredible 2nd. And the older you get, the easier the qualifying time is. So I very well may be 65 years old when I qualify. But qualify I will. :)


Wow, Melanie. I really liked this. This was the best post about the tragedy that I've read, yet.
ReplyDeleteI love this blog. I smiled the whole way through. You put everything into such a great perspective....you're right, we've already done more than we imagined so why not push ourselves even futher. I'd love to someday qualify for Boston too, but this year a sub 5 hour marathon is my goal! lol
ReplyDelete