Monday, April 1, 2013

Easter Memories '13

Just opened a package from Grandma and Grandpa Staley.  THANK YOU!


Easter sticker fun with friends.


Ready to hunt.




Mission complete.


Staley family tradition.  A reminder about what Easter really is.  
There are always eggs that look way prettier, fancier, and more special than all the rest.  One for each child.  But when they open that egg they are empty.  We talk about how this egg is to remind them of the Savior's tomb which was also empty.  It was really well received this year.  They all listened great and totally understood.


I knew that if I tried to take a picture after church they would all be tired and hungry and the fun novelty of the hat, gloves, and necklace would have worn off and there would be no getting Shortcake in a picture.  So I grabbed a picture as fast as I could on our way out the door.  We were a little late and walked in during the opening song but I got a pretty nice picture out of it so I'm happy.  (Thank you again Grandma & Grandpa Staley, the girls look beautiful.)  


Shortcake wasn't looking at the camera in the picture of the 3 of them but this one totally makes up for it!!!!!  I'm biased but stinking cute!!!  Dang cute.


Gonna interject one of my Easter '13 memories from this year.  Due to our rushed photo opp on our way out the door, I was desperate to get Shortcake to cooperate without a two-year-old-tantrum/dirty dress/red crying eyes.  I promised her a piece of chocolate if she let mommy take her picture.  Chocolate!!!  That dress!!!  What were you thinking!?!  Ya I know.  I figured I could just put it right in her mouth for her and there would be no chocolate on her hands or gloves or anything. (You can see where this story is going to go.)
So we get a great pic, my love loads the kids into the car while I run inside and get a piece of chocolate for each of the girls.  At this point there is still a small chance we might not be late.
So our family of 5 is in our tiny car, froof, frills and ribbon in every direction.  (I LOVE having a family of girls so I'm totally not complaining, just trying to create a visual.)  As my love pulls out of the driveway onto the road I instruct the twins to take their gloves off and give them their piece of chocolate.  (That was my mistake right there, but I'll come back to that later.)  Then I put Shortcake's piece right in her mouth. . . . . . . .
Now anyone that might know Shortcake personally, knows she has been a strong willed little person since she was just a few months old.  She knows what she wants and can NOT be swayed.  Problem is, sometimes mom doesn't know what that little person had in mind. 
So as I turn around to settle in for the drive Shortcake starts to scream.  Not her usual "waaaah I'm not happy and don't like this" cry that I hear several times a day, but all out screaming something is really wrong.  I whip back around and see she has not yet ingested that chocolate.  It's balancing on the edge of her teeth  and has increased it's mess making capabilities by like 1,000 because it it now swimming in a mouth full of chocolaty saliva that she refuses to swallow!  (Frills in every direction remember.)  Ahhhhh!!  I'm desperately trying to figure out why she is screaming and tell my love to pull over.  I eventually notice her continued refusal to swallow that chocolate.  So I take it out of her mouth but she's still mad and upset and tries to get any residual chocolate out of her mouth - with her silky pink gloves on.  Sigh.  I was able to stop that in time and salvage the gloves with a baby wipe.  Somehow despite the commotion, all 3 dresses were still chocolate free and we once again set off to church now guaranteed to be late.  But she is still totally upset, unconsolable, and keeps saying she wants the chocolate.  I'm stupid once but not stupid twice.
But nobody knows her like her mama and it hits me what her problem is.  She wanted to take her gloves off and put her chocolate in her own mouth just like the twins did.  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I was totally right and after we let her do that, she turned back into this:
That's my Shortcake.  Such a strong spirit.  Watch out  world.  Ain't nobody gonna get in the way of what she sets her mind too.


The friends we did our egg hunt with made these chocolate eggs for my girls.  They were homemade hallow eggs filled with jelly beans.  An artistic cooking challenge WAY beyond anything I would ever set out to do.  But I'll admit, she inspired me.  Maybe someday I will be creative and crazy and make something out of chocolate.  Maybe.  Either way the girls loved them and ate them in one sitting.  They are each wearing one of my t-shirts so as not to dirty their dresses.  (I know, I know, what is it with me and chocolate and these dresses!!!)  These pictures were taken at about the 1/2 way point.  By the time the eggs were completely gone there was even more chocolate on their faces and would have made an even better picture, but Shortcake was trying to take matters into her own hands and take the shirt off herself so I didn't get another picture.



And last but not least, we decorated eggs.  All in all, we are very blessed and had a happy Easter.




No comments:

Post a Comment