Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Scripture of the day #1

About a week and a half ago, the primary president came over to visit with my girls about baptism.  At the end of the lesson she gave the girls their new "Faith In God" books.  She showed us the page inside that talked about things they need to do to earn their award.  One of the items was regular scripture study.  Don't get me wrong, I know I'm a good mom and all that, but not only have I dropped the ball on scripture study, it's a ball I've never even picked up as far as family study is concerned. 
My excuses: my love leaves for work at 6:30am.  My kidos get up a little before 8:00.  I like my mornings and I get a lot done in that hour and a half.  The thought of rousing the whole crew by 6:15 in order to read scriptures with dad, has just had NO appeal to me.  And our bedtime "routine" already takes 30min+.  The thought of trying to add another item to that list didn't sound effective cause we'd be rushed and cranky 90% of the time. 
So, my new idea, I call it: Cereal & Scriptures.  My girls and I faithfully eat cereal a minimum of 5 days a week.  So I figured if we set out to read our scriptures every time we pour a bowl of cereal, we'd be doing pretty darn good.  A week and a half into it, it's working great. We each take turns reading a verse until everyone's breakfast is gone.

So, today we read a scripture I really like that I had not yet marked.  Since my blog is pretty much my makeshift journal keeping, I wanted to write down my thoughts. 

1 Nephi 3:31
And after the angel had departed, Laman and Lemuel again began to murmur, saying: How is it possible that the Lord will deliver Laban into our hands?  Behold, he is a mighty man, and he can command fifty, yea, even he can slay fifty; then why not us?

After I read this I thought about how many times I've questioned God's abilities and asked myself :"How is it possible that the Lord will deliver" me out of my problems.  Yet time and time again, despite my lack of faith, things work out and the Lord takes care of me far better than I could have taken care of myself. Just like the Lord delivered the plates to Nephi in a way that his brothers could never have thought up on their own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment