When Frozen first came out, it ruffled the feathers of a few people and their blogs hit social media and got spread around.
When I hear or read strong opinions, my first response is to self evaluate and try to figure out what exactly I believe about the issue. I'll admit that I wasn't crazy about some of the lyrics in the song "Let It Go." "No right, no wrong, no rules for me" and "That perfect girl is gone" are NOT life mottos I agree with. However, "Let it go" can be a GREAT life motto when applied to holding a grudge, or holding on to crippling fears. And I think the movie had a lot more to offer than "hidden agendas." Ultimately I came to the following conclusion:
If you don't take the time to teach your children, then yes, the "world" will teach them for you.
And it's luck of the draw whether or not what they get from movies, books, and songs will be good or not. Instead of worrying about what a show or song might have taught our kids, we should ASK THEM. Ask them what they "learned" from it. TALK ABOUT IT. So that's exactly what I did. And I actually had the good fortune and opportunity to ask 13 girls, ages ranging from 5-11. I asked them to write down what they learned from the movie. And my verdict is, if there was a hidden agenda in that movie, it wasn't received in this crowd. Here are what the girls wrote down:
-Always have true love.
-Love.
-Love.
-Love everyone.
-Love thaws a frozen heart, so love.
-Not to go crazy and get mad especially when you have powers.
-To not be crazy.
-To not worry about things and calm down.
-True love can thaw a frozen heart.
-True love doesn't have to be true love's kiss.
-True love is very important.
-When you have something special, praise it and not hide it.
-You have to know them first.
I think those were some great answers. I would also like to add to it, one of my daughters comments from several days later. After watching Cinderella she said,
"But she only knew him for a day."
THANK YOU FROZEN. Thank for bringing fairy tales just a sliver closer to reality by pointing out that 1 great date, does not a soul mate make. :)
I love this! I asked my daughter the same question (she's almost 4) here are her answers:
ReplyDelete-it's not nice to be contention (contentious)
- it's not nice to shut people out and not play with them.
- it's good to love people