I will wholeheartedly admit that there are things I don't feel like I have a very strong testimony of. But, there are things that I do have a very strong testimony of. One of which is the ability to find answers in the scriptures. The very first time the Lord spoke to me via the scriptures was when I was technically still a teenager. I had graduated high school and was back east being a nanny. My mom was very sick and I was very very troubled by it. At the time I remembered hearing once (though unfortunately I can't remember exactly where) the phrase:
If you want to talk to God, PRAY.
If you want God to talk to you, READ YOUR SCRIPTURES.
That night I decided to put it to the test. I opened up my scriptures and found:
D&C 98:1-3
1 Verily I say unto you my friends, fear not, let your hearts be comforted; yea, rejoice evermore, and in everything give thanks;
2 Waiting patiently on the Lord, for your prayers have entered into the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth, and are recorded with this seal and testament - the Lord hath sworn and decreed that they shall be granted.
3 Therefore, he giveth this promise unto you, with an immutable covenant that they shall be fulfilled; and all things where with you have been afflicted shall work together for your good, and to my name's glory, saith the Lord.
Since that night I have conversed with the Lord in that fashion many times. He has spoken to me so clearly time after time.
The Lord answered my prayers again tonight, through the words in the scriptures and I wanted to record it and record my testimony.
Tonight my heart was troubled and aching for the heartache and troubles of those that I love. I opened to
D&C 132:56
. . . . . I, the Lord thy God, will bless her, and multiply her, and make her heart to rejoice.
This brought such great comfort, but I wanted more. I wanted guidance on what was causing all the heartache in the first place. Then I turned to
D&C 78 17-18
17 Verily, verily, I say unto you, ye are little children, and ye have not as yet understood how great blessings the Father hath in his own hands and prepared for you;
18 And you cannot bear all things now; nevertheless, be of good cheer, for I will lead you along. . .
At this point, though my mind still had questions, I thought, "I have been so blessed with these priceless words of comfort, I better not press my luck and continue to beg for further information at this time." Clearly based on the last scripture find, the Lord thinks I can survive just fine with out all the answers to all problems.
My eyes did wander to another verse on this page though, and I'm putting the scripture reference up at the top of my blog. It goes perfect!
D&C 78: 13
Behold, this is the preparation wherewith I prepare you, and the foundation, and the ensample which I give unto you, whereby you may accomplish the commandments which are given you;
I close this post with my testimony that the Lord does answer prayers. And some of those answers can be found in the scriptures. Don't give up. If you open to "So-an-so begat so-and-so, begat so-and-so . . .", or 10,000 dead Nephites, you're probably not on the right page. Just keep flipping. Show the Lord that you sincerely want it to work, and you're willing to keep at it, even if it takes a few tries. His words will come.
No comments:
Post a Comment