Thursday, January 3, 2013


Yesterday Shortcake woke up WAY earlier than usual.  After about an hour, she decided things were pretty boring without her sisters around, and fell back asleep.  And kept on sleeping.  Didn't wake up 'till noon! 
After that, she was a walking snot bomb.  Every time she sneezed a blanket of snot went everywhere.  Despite that, she was still ever so pleasant and happy.  Went to bed just like normal.
About an hour and a half later, she woke up and could hardly breath.  She sounded terrible!  Last winter she got RSV so I kinda assumed that's what were were dealing with again.  We pulled out our breathing machine thing and gave her a treatment.  Didn't make a huge difference.  Stood with her in a hot shower with some essential oils.  That seemed to make a difference, but she still just didn't sound good.  As a mother I just couldn't put her back to bed and possibly get any rest myself.  Laying her down just seemed to make her breathing worse.  So we gathered up every spare pillow in the house and made our short, hard, wooden couch as comfortable as possible, and I did my best to hold her upright most of the night.  By 1:30 she had a fever of 102.  (We won't dwell on how much sleep either of us got.)
Sounded as horrible as ever the next morning and were at the doctors by 9:20. 
Not RSV though.  Croup.  According to the doc, the breathing treatments wouldn't do much good and we had 2 more nights just like the first to look forward to.  Nice.  She did prescribe a steroid to help the inflammation that is making her breathing so hard. 
Little did I realize what a pain it would be to get that prescription filled.  Our normal pharmacy was out and so was the other one in town.  Ended up finally finding one that had it.  Right across from the doctors office.  Ya, could have saved myself about 1/2 an hour of driving if I had just gone to them in the first place.  Bother.  And due to apparent telephone complications between the two pharmacies, and then further telephone complications between the pharmacy and myself, poor little thing didn't get any meds in her 'till 2:00.  Got her to the doc at 9:20 and it took till 2:00 to get a pill in her mouth.  Twas NOT impressed. 
By the time my love got home from work, she still sounded just miserable!  Walking around a little and even smiling now and then, but you just wanted to take a deep breath FOR her.  My love wrapped her up in 2 big soft blankets and took her out on the back porch.  The cold winter air helped bring down some of her inflamation and the sweet little thing fell right asleep.  So glad she got some much needed rest.
While she was out, we had our home teacher come over and help give her a blessing.  So grateful.  As they started the blessing and I heard them say the words "Melchizedek Priesthood" I just felt so grateful, and I could feel the spirit whispering to me that my husband does indeed hold the Lord's priesthood.  So grateful.
She has since woken up and sounds so GOOD!  I can't hardly believe it.  Some things I found online totally coincided with what our doc said, and with what she prescribed.  The only difference is the website said nights 2 and 3 would be worse!  Great.  But she's doing so good right now.  Practically breathing normal.  So we'll see what the night has in store.   

No comments:

Post a Comment