Sunday, January 6, 2013

Primary Fun Song Spinner

Got a new calling at church.  Best calling there is if you ask me.  :) Check out the fun song spinner I made.

Just cut out the squares and tape them on the board.
My original thought was to include a pdf in case anybody ever wanted to make their own.  But it sounded extremely complicated, involving downloading my pdf to another host site and things like that.  Unfortunately, and embarrassingly,  really intimidating.  Sooo, if anybody would like free printable pdfs please leave a comment with your e-mail and I'd be happy to e-mail them to you.

So as you can see, I just covered up a Twister spinner board.  Growing up, I remember when my mom was Primary chorister, she too had a spinner board.  She made her's from scratch using a piece of a cardboard box for the back, and another piece of cardboard box with a brad of some sort for the spinner itself.  Worked great, but using this pre-made spinner sounded like a much lazier way to go. 
The 4 smaller circles are song alternates for Senior Primary.  Some songs are great for the Juniors but the Seniors are gonna be insulted if you make them sing them.  For my Senior alternates I picked the songs that sing the books in the Old Testament, New Testament, and Book Of Mormon.  The 4th song is Latter Day Prophets. 
Now any of you that really know your primary songs may notice some discrepancy in a couple of my song titles.
 
pg 198 real title: A Happy Family  my title: A Happy Primary
When I sing it with the primary, I bring one of the primary classes up to the front and instead of singing "Father, Mother, Sister, & Brother," we use the names of the kids I brought to the front. 

pg 236 real title: "Give" Said the little Stream  my title: "Give" Said the Little Rain
We don't sing the 1st verse, we sing the 2nd.  The kids act like droopy flowers until the rain raises their weary heads.  TIP: tell the flowers they have to stay in their flowerpots, or in other words, stay in their seats.  We started out with some wilted flowers spread all over the floor.  Doesn't exactly fit the definition of reverent in my book.

pg 241 Rain is Falling All Around
Didn't change the name of this one, but I do change the way we sing it according to the weather.  For example, we sang "Wind is blowing all around."  Could easily switch it to "snow is falling," or "sun is shining." 

Had a great time today.  The kids sang GREAT and I felt like they learned the song.  I so enjoy it.  Just makes me smile.  Feel very blessed.  All callings require an amount of work and or sacrifice.  While preparing to teach a song can be time consuming sometimes, I don't feel like it's a sacrifice at all.  I totally enjoy it and I get excited to prepare the next song.  Even though it won't get to last forever, and I know some day He'll put me somewhere else, I thank my Heavenly Father for this gift of time in the primary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment